Cakebread Cellars, Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (2015)
• Iconic Napa Valley winery, family owned and operated since 1973. Family, Hospitality, Quality.
• Belief that life’s occasions are elevated by good people, good food, and good wine.
• Committed sustainable production? Certified Napa Green Winery 2008, 191 acres Certified Napa Green Land.
• Winemaking balances cutting-edge vineyard technology and tradition to produce world-class wines.
• Jack Cakebread meets Ansel Adams in the military. Ansel asks his help on a coffee-table wine photography book.
• Jack falls in love with Napa and is offered a farm to buy. Uses his � book advance to build a winery, #36 in Napa.
Cakebread Cellars began in 1973 with the vineyard lands on the original 22-acre property in Rutherford. Over the years, the family has acquired additional vineyards throughout Napa Valley and the North Coast. Today, the winery owns 15 sites totaling 560 vineyard acres in Carneros, Rutherford, Howell Mountain and Anderson Valley as well as other prime locations in Napa.
The grapes for Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon come from top vineyards throughout the valley’s finest Cabernet Sauvignon appellations, including estate vines. Securing fruit from multiple, diverse sites enables the crafting of a rich, yet elegant Cabernet marrying the lush black fruit and sturdy tannins typical of the valley’s warmer northern districts with the bright fruit and acidity characteristic of its cooler southern climes. Each year, winemaker Julianne Laks vinifies dozens of different lots of Cabernet, assessing each one repeatedly in order to select only the very best lots for the final blend. Each lot is separately harvested, fermented and barrel aged before blending. Each is also cold?soaked for two days prior to fermentation to foster early color, flavor and tannin extraction from the skins. Tank size, yeast strain, fermentation temperature and barrel type are specifically tailored to the fruit character of each lot. The component wines age for six months in French oak barrels before blending and the final blend spends another 12 months in barrel before bottling.
Dense, concentrated aromas of ripe boysenberry, blackberry, dark plum and cassis, with a hint of spice, preface intense, deeply concentrated, blackberry, blackcurrant and dark cherry flavors, culminating in a long finish shot through with a blackberry fruitiness. With a superb balance of rich fruit, bright acidity and polished tannins, this Cabernet drinks beautifully upon release but develops even greater allure with another 7?10 years’ bottle age.
An excellent companion to beef, rich pork dishes and game.